Tuesday, March 6, 2007

...D...

The City of Metropolis is in ruins. The destruction that followed Doomsday's rampage is clearly evident in the torn-down buildings, shrapnel and debilitated roads. I devoted my life to this city and it puts hopelessness in me to see it crumble. But it puts more grief in my heart to see the people's hopeless agony.

I know the end is near.

Even if I could not stand all the pain and injury during battle, the single thought of Lois will always keep my heart fighting. She pulls me to fight one more fight and make the next day possible for Metropolis.

This is the only time that I can no longer will my body or soul to fight. This is the only time I would choose the abyss over the struggle for life of the people, of Lois and my own.

Two things made the Man of Steel give up fighting for tomorrow: Doomsday and death.

The last thing that crossed my mind amidst the sound of the people's anguish, the media's frenzy and the city's devastation was the thought of fighting for Lois even in the afterlife.

[prelude to Superman, an earlier piece]

No comments: